This week we are starting a three month strength cycle to build our engines up over the winter. Come spring we will be back outside sprinting and building endurance. Until then, lets get STRONG!
Jim Wendler’s 5-3-1 Method is a great way to build strength. If you want to understand the system, please read the following article: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength
Here’s what you NEED TO KNOW:
1. Your 1 rep max for the following lifts: deadlift, bench press, back squat, and press.
2. Your “training max” is 90% of your 1RM. All percentages in this program will be based off of your training max rather than your actual max. Sound strange? Okay, now get over it and realize that this program works if you do it right. Take 90% of your maxes and write it down. That’s now your “training max.” You are a beast!
3. Come Prepared: Lifts and percentages of training max will be posted ahead of time. If you know what you’re lifting before class, it will make all of our lives a whole lot easier. If you’re lost, don’t worry. We’re happy to help during class! By week 2 you’ll be a seasoned professional.
4. If you miss a lift, make it up in your basement, Planet Fatness, Latitudes, or wherever you can get a hold of a barbell. If not, Saturday mornings will be make up sessions for getting your lifts in. All members should get ALL four lifts in EVERY week.
5. The last set in each strength workout is for max reps. Its also where the magic happens. Get it done on that last set. You are an animal. At the end of each 4 week cycle we will increase our training maxes by 5 pounds for our bench and press, and 10 pounds for our squat and deadlift. We will not re-test our actual one-rep-max until early April when we have completed three cycles of 5-3-1.
Click here to SIGN UP for THE 8-WEEK PALEO CHALLENGE, 28 seats remaining.:
5 @ 65% Training Max
5 @ 75% Training Max
5+ @ 85% Training Max
100 Burpees for Time